Monday, May 12, 2014

What is Big Ginger and Horny (Well, Horned at Least) ?

The answer is Odontotaenius disjunctus, the Horned Passalus. I found several of these big (1 1/2 inch) beetles in a rotted tree trunk in the little park across from the house. I didnt notice the little central horn on its head until it was ID'ed at BugGuide. I was distracted by all that ginger hair! All around the head and thorax and just look at those hairy ginger 'shins' especially on the second pair of legs.



The second image is the true color, black. The third looks blue but that's purely the color of the sky. This is, as Capt. Beefheart said, a Shiny Beast.
And on the side of the house I found a new-to-me jumping spider Lyssomanes viridis known as the Magnolia Green Jumping Spider. I'm not overly pleased with the picture quality on this as it was very small and pretty much translucent. Against the light siding it made for a poor shot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment