Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Evolution of Fish

Once upon a time, Christians were a secretive sect who hid themselves away and revealed their presence to one another by means of secret symbols like the Ichthys.


According to the Wikipedia this derives from ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) an acronym for "Ίησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".

These days they are not nearly so secretive mores the pity but the symbol has hung around. It's shiny chrome presence seems to 'grace' the backend of every other car in Virginia. It looks like this;
Or sometimes like this;
Or in some cases, where the driver thinks their subtle symbolism might be lost on we ignorant heathens  or where, perhaps, they don't understand the derivation of their own symbol, like this;

Now I don't object to anyones religion (or sexuality) so long as they keep it largely to themselves and especially keep it out of politics. But the blasted fish whatever the form,  serves to remind me every day that the  Romans had a point. I'd be on the front row these days rooting for the lions.

Now some efforts have been made to subvert this over the years and I do see a handful of cars sporting something like this;
 or much more rarely like this;
But while some of these alternatives were amusing I was never tempted. But today I was at a stoplight behind a young lady of the 'goth' persuasion whos 'Republicans for Voldemort' bumpersticker had already made me smile when I saw her 'fish'.
I ordered one online as soon as I got home. Who could possibly resist?

Go on, you know you want one.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment