Wednesday, February 15, 2012

On Uncooperative Birds...again

As much as I love the birds in the yard and round about they are the most cursedly uncooperative creatures. I had a couple of tiny Downy Woodpeckers (Picoides pubescens ) in the yard this morning on the feeders but would they for one moment come around to the same side of the feeder as me? And needless to say only a couple of minutes to get the shot before work while Banished Jr. ate his brekkie.
  It was like a cartoon cliche, me and the birds circling around the feeder, each always just out of sight of the other with me always just failing to get the picture.

 There have been Northern Flickers and Red Bellied Woodpeckers out there too these last few days. Its the sudden cold(ish) snap thats brought them to the garden I assume.

Thankfully I had more success with the Downys a couple of years ago as you can see below. 

The male

and the pair, female with her back to us, male on the far side. You can see just how small they are when you compare to the corn kernels and sunflower seeds in the feeder.

I have no idea why these two were so oddly helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment