Sunday, July 3, 2011

I got a new one!

Its always fun to find a new species in the yard. Sometimes I'm honestly not sure in the case of all the skippers, little orangey brown jobs. I think we have 8 skippers but who knows for sure.

But today I found a species that I know I hadn't seen in the garden before. We get plenty of Grey Hairstreaks, especially later in the summer and I had to get the picture downloaded and checked before I was sure but... this is the Red Banded Hairstreak. Not the most perfect picture but its the first so what the heck.


Here for comparison and because its also a beautiful little butterfly is the Grey Hairstreak




1 comment:

  1. Wow, those two do look pretty close.
    But I can see the differences in your photos, which are beautiful by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete