Thursday, August 1, 2013

Biggles and the Imperial Thumbs Down.

On the subject of my Pandora then I have fine tuned the Radio Van Der Graaf Generator by vicious use of the imperial 'Thumbs Down'. Gone are the offers of Led Zeppelin and Phil Collins and the 'station now boast VDGG with a very large side of Jethro Tull and a leavening of Soft Machine and Peter Gabriel era Genesis.

That'll do me for the drive to work.

This mornings drive to work was accompanied almost entirely by Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. Not the edit as I thought when it popped up but the whole 22 minutes of Part 1.

"So!  Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday? "


Biggles! Is Biggles still read? Even in my youth Capt. W.E. Johns' stirring tales of flying ace and all round adventurer James Bigglesworth were the stuff of comedy thanks to Monty Python. At school we spent hours of harmless 'fun' tormenting 1st and 2nd Year library assistants with searches through the card index for nonexistent and nonesensical Biggles titles. Biggles Flies Undone...Biggles Meets His Auntie On Top Of A Mountain...Biggles Controls The Means Of Production....Biggles Defends The Bourgeoisie.
I should be ashamed of myself.



Historical Aside:
Damn it, now I'm old there are way too many passing thoughts that merit the epithet 'historical'. But, still, on the subject of Biggles and Monty Python then I seem to think that the first time I became aware of the term 'gay' in its other than jolly context was in Monty Python's Biggles sketch.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment