Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Dance Of The Crane

Still cold so here is something from the iPod again.

I don't have many movie soundtracks . But there are a couple of Ennio Morricone  albums including Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West. I spent so many years watching that movie on the BBC. It started out in magnificent wide screen capturing the whole amazing composition right up until the train arrives and then the whole thing would go back to pan and scan.

Every time I watched it I'd hope they had a real print but every time they broke my heart.

But now I have my own widescreen to watch when ever I want. To see the blue eyed black hearted Henry Fonda. And to hear the occassionally eccentric choices of character motif. But there are moments in the movie where the music and the image are at as perfect a pitch as any movie ever made. I can't hear this track without seeing that crane shot, frame perfect in my minds eye.


Claudia Cardinale and a train and a town.

No comments:

Post a Comment