Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Days Of Futurama Past

Listening to my Pandora 'Radio Oldfart Late 70's' today it suddenly struck me how many of the bands were here:


Futurama in Leeds in Septemmber 1979. 2 days of the 'Worlds First Science Fiction Music Festival'. It was promoted by John Keenan who ran the  F ( later Fan) Club in Leeds.

The 'Queens Hall' in Leeds was a former bus garage with all the style and atmosphere of...well... a bus garage. Not an especially salubrious bus garage at that..

But it was a big do, Public Image Ltd, Joy Division, The Fall, Echo and the Bunnymen (still with echo the drum machine), The Teardrop Explodes, Cabaret Voltaire, Scritti Politti, The Only Ones and even, apparently, Hawkwind (I missed them though...I think..the sci-fi bit?). Lots more too, most of them obscure even then and utterly lost now.

I wish I remembered more of the weekend. I went the next year too but it was already going downhill with U2. They pretty much cleared the place.  Blurt and ClockDVA were good though as I recall.


It wasn't cheap mind you. That first one cost 5 quid a day! Bloody robbery!  

No comments:

Post a Comment