Wednesday, October 3, 2012

NOT Limping Still

Still struggling here to get a method of posting my pictures to my photography blog.  I might have to consider posting pictures at BugGuide and linking to them. What a pain in the arse.

UPDATE!
I WENT TO UPLOAD THIS POST AND FOUND THAT THE PICTURE BUTTON HAD RETURNED. sO WE ARE BACK IN ACTION....THOUGH MOST OF THE BUGS ARE GONE AS FALL ROLLS ALONG.

I do have something of an update on the tree branch/deck story of September. We had people come in to quote for repairing the deck despite the cheap penny pinching insurers not providing nearly enough money to get this done. One of the first came in and quoted us $2500 to replace it entirely. That was out of the question. But he did ask the question…’Why do you need a deck rail on a deck that’s barely a foot off the grass’. A good point and one that we happily embraced.

The main problems resulting from the branch incident were:

  1. Sections of deck rail utterly smashed by said branch landing on them.
  2. One of the supporting joists running along the left hand edge being cracked clean through by the impact.

So not replacing the deck rail was an easy solution to the first problem. The second issue was the more serious structural issue. We were quoted around $500 to remove and replace this timber to put the deck back in good order. But looking at that it seemed all that was really involved was to remove the broken 12 foot 6x2 timber after removing the nails attaching it at the end of each of the 25 deck boards, replacing the timber with a new one, nailing it back in place to the other structural timbers and re-nailing the deck boards.

And so it came to pass that I, Mr. Cack-handed took it upon myself to tackle this $500 project. And do you know, I did it. I did it in one morning. Single handedly but for 5 minutes of assistance from Mrs. B with holding stuff.  I removed the old deck rails, cut them up for disposal, unnailed the boards and removed the broken joist. There followed a quick trip to Lowes for the new timber and a box of nails. On my return I cut it to length and cut one end to an angle to fit with the old (both with my little electric chain saw…most unnerving) and put it back in place. The last half hour was just tough on the knees, up and down hammering 60 odd nails.

Yes I did it! I fixed the deck! And best of all it cost…. a little under $18.00 for the treated timber and the nails. That’s it, $18.00. Woohoo and hurrah for me. I’m turning into an American and falling in love with my chain saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment