Sunday, August 12, 2012

Distraction

Well I should have been photographing and posting more but I just havent seen so much out in the yard to excite me since vacation. Plus its been tending to rain in the late afternoon by the time I'm home and... the mosquitoes are pure hell.  I came back from 10 days vacation where I saw not a single one and went out into the yard in shorts. In 2 minutes my legs were covered with the little swine. I retired to the house and have stayed there largely the last 2 weeks until something exciting drags me back out.

I did spot this spider on the garage as I came home the other day.


Its an orb weaver thats new to me called Araneus pegnia. Smaller than many of the Orb Weavers but those markings are  nice and rather attractive.

The other distraction has been Mrs B deciding that we should subscribe to Netflix. She gets to watch lots of her favorite Brit cop shows and find lots of new ones. And I've been looking at too many 'old' movies I havent seen in ages. Tonight its been Nicholas Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth with David Bowie, How did Nic Roeg fall to earth so hard himself? For a while in the 70's and early 80's he could do little wrong or so it seemed. Now with the exception of Performance (Co-directed with Don Cammell) it seems to have slipped into obscurity and seems likely to be as 'fondly' remembered as Ken Russell . I don't see any sudden second wind a la Werner Herzog alas.

The Man Who Fell To Earth is a future seen from the 70's and I don't think any other future has dated quite so badly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment