Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Dash of Colour

Updated 11/01/11

Its so much cooler this weekend. Not too further North in Maryland and Pennsylvania its actually been snowing. Not so chilly here and nice out in the sun after yesterdays rain.

Went out without too much hope today though and was pleasantly surprised by a couple of little jewels.

This is a little leafhopper, the Broad-Headed Sharpshooter (Oncometopia orbona)


I do wish the picture had been a little sharper but I only had time to grab a couple before the hopper hopped. Still they do catch the fantastic colour and texture. It looks like its made of copper and lapis and barely a half inch long. Brings to mind the mechanical vampire beetle of Del Toro's Cronos



Also jumping happily around in the warm grass on the bank down to the pond was this Meadow Katydid.

 I'm not sure of the species on this yet but I've posted one at BugGuide looking for guidance. Certainly no rush to snap this one though, she was happy to perch on my finger

  11/01/11
BugGuide tells me that she is Orchelium agile, the Agile Meadow Katydid

There is such a variety of colours amongst the grasshoppers and katydids. Green and brown is just the start.  A couple of years ago we found this beauty in the yard. Not for nothing is it called the Handsome Meadow Katydid.


Halloween tomorrow and the Banished household has been carving pumpkins like crazy the last couple of days. I'm rather pleased with my own effort... Nosferatu. No I didnt design it but I did carve it without screwing it up. My best since 2004's Creature from the Black Lagoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment